Google Tag Manager is a free tag management system (TMS) that allows you to quickly and easily update measurement codes and related code fragments collectively known as tags on your website or mobile app. Once the small segment of the Tag Manager code has been added to your site, you can safely and quickly deploy analytics and measurement tag configurations from a web-based user interface.
Connecting Crazy Egg with Google Tag Manager is quick, easy, and doesn't require coding.
Note: Ensure you use the same Google Tag Manager account installed on your site. If you need help determining the GTM Container, email your web developer and/or our support team for help.
Google Tag Manager - Step by Step
Here is a recommended process to help you get started.
- Step 1
- Login into your Google Tag Manager account. Click on Add a New Tag.
- Step 2
- Click anywhere in the Tag Configuration section. Or, click on the pencil icon - it appears when you hover over this section.
- Step 3
- Scroll down the list and choose Crazy Egg.
- Step 4
- You will now need your Crazy Egg account number. You can obtain that here and add it to your Google Tag Manager under Account Number (see screenshot below). Click off of the Tag Configuration area to save the setting.
Note: Unless you want to use Track by Name, leave Snapshot Name under Advanced Options blank.
- Step 5
- Click anywhere in the Triggering section. Or, click on the pencil icon - it appears when you hover over this section.
- Step 6
- By default, the tag is set to trigger for all pages. This is the ideal setting for a basic installation of Crazy Egg via Google Tag Manager. Click on the eye icon to select this option.
Note: If you are an advanced Google Tag Manager (GTM) user, you can specify your script firing triggers here. Note: If the script does not load up on the page, load tracking will not occur. This will affect any Snapshots, A/B tests, Edits, and/or Recordings from properly recording.
- Step 7
- Click the Add button located in the top right-hand corner.
- Step 8
- Click the Save button located in the top right-hand corner. Once you do, you will be prompted with this window. Click on the Save button here too.
- Step 9
- Click on the Submit button located in the top right-hand corner.
- Step 10
- Fill in the Version Name and Version Description fields. Then click on the Publish button located in the top right-hand corner.
Congratulations, you have configured the Crazy Egg tag!